Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Brighter Side

I assume that my 5-10 readers here know I spend my post-work evenings running. That activity, six out of seven days each week, gets in the way of spontaneity, and, consequently, I imagine, some good meals. So as disappointing as my recent ankle fracture diagnosis was, I funneled my extra time into eating (don't tell my college coach). So, at least one good thing came out my gimpness: a trip to Regazza.

Tuesday afternoon found me with a bum ankle and nothing to do after work. A few texts later, I scored myself an invite to Regazza with my pal Sarah, her boyfriend Ryan, his cousin, and his gf. Sarah and I killed time at previously reviewed Girabaldi's (this place is truly your best option for a quiet Happy Hour Special) before heading over to Regazza, San Francisco's latest pizza rage.

The crust here is good; the crust is very good; to the point where you'll come back regardless of what's actually on the pie - give me a bowl of olive oil and I'd be quite totally satisfied. The toppings on each pie I tried (bacon and brussel sprouts; buttnernut squash and ricotta, respectfully) didn't have me yearning for more, but the crust sure did - do not under-estimate the power of a good crust. The other menu options - fresh salads, interesting appetizers - provide a little something for everyone. Our dessert - a crust with Nutella slathered on top - was unique and delightful. My company, I might add, added to my enjoyment.

What's the verdict, you cry (all five of you)? My diagnosis is this: San Francisco's pizza scene is extremely competitive right now. Delfina, Flour + Water, Zero Zero, and A16, Regazza, etc are just a few competing for the top prize. In my opinion, they are all exceptional, but none is significantly better than the other. My best slice this year was way out in Point Reyes (at Osteria Stellina), which I still assert to be noticeably better than the local options - but quite a trek/investment to get to. Bottom line, I am spoiled. Regazza is awesome and you should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment