Friday, November 4, 2011

"Ristobar" - (no catchy title comes to mind)





The criteria for Wednesday night: low key and somewhere neither of us had been. So after each nominating five places, exchanging lists, narrowing the candidates, and finally reaching an agreement (standard operating procedure when two well-researched foodies are involved), Brooke and I found ourselves at Ristobar in the Marina. As the title suggests, nothing stands out about this place but it in no way deserves a lashing.

The space itself is decidedly un-Marina. The vast interior reminds me of high-end places like Quince, Kokkari, Danko, and One Market. Unfortunately for Ristobar, the similarities - specifically the Michelin stars, ha! - end there. The dark brown and mahogany color scheme create a regal feel (and optimal lighting). The bar spans and curves the entire length of the restaurant; it has to be one of the longest bars I've seen in the city. Reservationless, Brooke and I had no problem finding two open spots at the bar.

We started with the burrata salad. I can't quite pinpoint what it was, but there was something slightly "off" about the taste. It almost had a pastey, chemical-like after taste. The hard, gummy texture was too firm for my liking (it's got to be slightly spreadable). I didn't hate it, but sitting within eye-shot of the best burrata I've ever had (at A16 across the street) compounded its shortcomings.

The "Valencia" Pizza (ricotta, goat cheese, asiago, pear, watercress) was again good, but I've had better. The crust is paper thin. The toppings read like a dream, but in reality, didn't have much punch to them. But at $11 for 8 generous pieces, I can't complain too much.

I have been to countless places where the FREE bread either saves the night or emerges as the most memorable piece of the meal. Ristobar was no exception here with its soft, chewy onion foccaccia bread. Baked in house, it was a no brainer to polish the bread and brown bag the pizza for later. With such an expansive bar and great wine selection, I think next time I'll enjoy a beverage and some delicious free bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment