Monday, November 21, 2011

Hanging with the old folk at Brazenhead







I respect my elders and, after eating at Brazenhead last weekend, now know exactly where to find them. Brazen Head doesn't have a reputation for being particularly hip, but I was still surprised to find myself surrounded by gray hair and AARP members on both sides. I nearly tripped over a walker on my way in (not kidding). The bar area is adorned with old photos and newspaper clippings, and the fella next to me even claimed that one of the yellowed newspaper pictures was of him in his political heyday. Truth be told, I was there at 5:30 on a Sunday afternoon (and this is one of the few establishments open late).

When the food, ambiance, and service is as good as it is at Brazen Head, I don't really care who's sitting next to me. As my friend Jac pointed out, we felt like we walked into an episode of Cheers: The bartender is super friendly and accommodating (and you get the feeling he's been there for a few decades). The decor - bookshelves, hung newspaper clippings, etc - make you feel right at home. The food is comforting too.

Jac had the burger and the one bite I had was quite favorable. Thick meat and excellent bun (although we did scrape off the pool of mayo on the bun). There's nothing game-changing about it, but I'd happily order one again the future. My crab cakes were heavy on the crab (a rarity) and light on the fried part. The aioli dipping sauce was the perfect dip and our server quickly brought a second helping when I wiped out the first helping (seriously, do they think that little tablespoon is going to cut it for two big cakes??!). The free garlic bread was the perfect touch to tie me over from my rigorous day of ... nothing.

Lastly, as any follower of this blog knows, I can't turn down bread pudding when it's on the menu. Brazenhead's version is quite good, in spite of its chocolate-less-ness. It comes out piping hot and the vanilla ice cream melts into all nooks and crannies, resulting in a moist delight. The firm consistency isn't usually my preference, but like the chocolate issue, this version taught me to be more open-minded.

One caveat: there is no deep fryer on premise. That's right: no fries to go with that burger. So for all you out there who order a side salad instead - this is your place! In my two visits, I'd give the food a B+ and the ambiance an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment