Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2 for 2 in Laurel Heights






The latter half of last week was marked by two terrific meals in the Laurel Heights neighborhood (W(here)TF is that, you ask? Nestled slightly southwest of Pacific Heights; marked by a lot of strollers, BMW SUVs, maternity clothing stores, and big houses with back yards probably occupied by important business people). There are only a handful of restaurants in that neighborhood, but come to think of it, they’ve all been excellent in my experience (these two, Osteria, and Sociale are all winners).

On a whim, Jac and I met at Garibaldi's to capitalize on the amazing Happy Hour menu advertised on their website. Everything on the menu is half off from 5-6:30, 7 days a week; and the results turned out even better in reality than on paper. As one should expect in Laurel Heights, Garibaldi’s is a quiet place dominated by Senior Citizens. This shouldn’t be a problem if you’re looking for an audible conversation with your companion.

Jac and I started with two appetizers: Hummus dip and fig & prosciutto wraps. The portion size and quality were both pleasing, even before considering they were $3.50 each. Similarly, drinks won’t run you more than $6 a pop if you get there early. With nearly 20 wines, cocktails, and beer choices to choose from, even the pickiest of drinkers are bound to find a good choice. Lastly, we split the burger ($7) which was about as good as they come. The kitchen even took the time to split it for us before it came out.

Service also hit the mark. I’ve noticed bartenders tend to blow you off when they know you won't be racking up a huge tab. But our bartender was extremely generous with his pours and even brought out a few tastes of wine that weren't on the Happy Hour menu without charging us. It is little touches like this that engrain a restaurant into my memory and inspire me to tell everyone I know about it (which I have).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mom’s out of town and we’re going to party!

Fast forward about 16 hours and I’m picking my dad up to head to Spruce for lunch. We knew beforehand my mom would be out of town, so we deliberately picked a place where we could splurge without her judging eye (she knows, she supports it). I ended up taking the day off from work, so the two of us ventured out of the FiDi back to Laurel Heights (I have reviewed Spruce for dinner).

I think the same elderly diners at Garibaldi’s rallied back to Spruce for lunch the next day; my dad is nearly 65 and he was a spring chicken compared to the rest of the diners. We both observed that Spruce filled up much later than restaurants do in the Financial District and that the average age of the diners is much higher. This was my first time in the main dining room and there is something so regal about it: high ceilings, throne-like chairs, and an abundance of mahogany everything.

After my eye-opening burrata experience at A16, I’ve been eager to compare it to others in the city. Spruce’s take was much different, as the burrata came alongside a cherry salad but no toast. The cheese and salad were both excellent individually but I struggled to see how they related to each other. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking cheese should be served with some sort of bread or crostini to deliver it. This isn’t exactly a criticism, but I suppose I preferred A16’s.

Spruce’s city famous burger was calling my name loudly, but having had it before, I resisted and opted for the short rib sugo (from one fork-only cut of beef to the next). The dish just had so much…flavor. Warm, hearty flavor. The aromas of the slow cooked beef meshed so well with the bed of crunchy risotto underneath it. My glass of Pinot Noir completed the deal. The portion isn’t huge but it feels hearty. My dad surprised me by ordering the omelette; I don’t think one can go wrong with several types of cheeses folded into a thick wrap of eggs.

Dessert wasn’t even a question and we chose a “peanut butter & jelly” concoction. The wedge consisted of several layers, but I’ll forever remember the crunchy peanut butter layer – and how it tasted going down with a hint of chocolate. I don’t think it’ll go down as my favorite dessert ever, but it was a delightful end to a great meal.

The service was flawless. Our server was always there to attend to our needs but never overwhelmed us. Having been to Spruce twice now, I file it in the “special occasion place where you know you’ll have a great meal and will be well taken care of.”

(pics are of Spruce only)

No comments:

Post a Comment