Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back on my A List




A16 is trendy, always crowded, hip, and - until Tuesday night - in my opinion extremely overrated. I remember being totally confused about the hype when I went; their celebrated pizzas were decent but nothing to write home about. I had a completely different experience this time around.

Jac chose the Chestnut Street spot to celebrate her 29th birthday. The bar area was already filling up when we walked in at 6pm (on a Tuesday night) but we managed to find two spots by the entrance. I have to admit, A16 is a cool place to eat: the bartenders are friendly and knowledgeable; the lighting and ambiance is upscale without being pretentious; and in both my visits, the other bar patrons are interesting and social. Jac and I scored free 49er tickets from the former player sitting next to us by the time we left.

The food itself was as favorable as the ambiance. We started with the Burrata appetizer, a mild cheese that actually looks like scrambled egg whites. The cheese reminds me of Mozzarella because it's nearly flavorless; the olive oil and sea salt is what truly brings it to life. It is firm but still spreadable. It is a perfectly light treat to enjoy before main course.

Next came the Arugula and frisee salad with medjool dates, almonds and pecorino monte poro. Again, the chefs nail the balance between lightness and flavor. The salad is very lightly dressed, allowing the diner to savor the fresh leaves and dates. Who knew something so healthy could be so tasty.

The main attraction Tuesday was the Salsiccia pizza. The beautiful crust came topped with fennel sausage, spring onions, mozzarella, tomato, grana, garlic, chilies, olive oil. In my opinion, a crust is what makes the pizza (because if all else fails, I can scrape off the toppings and enjoy good bread). As you can see from the picture, the crust is expertly blackened, while the center part is thin yet still sturdy enough to support the toppings. I still stand by my claim that Osteria Stellina is the best pizza I've ever had, but this is somewhere in the top five. The only criticism I have is I know in a few weeks I won't recall exactly what was on top of the pizza. The toppings tasted good at the time, but they weren't "once in a lifetime" memorable. By contrast, I can still name each beautiful topping on Stellina's pie.

A16 is very much back in my good graces. It's a versatile place too. I'd recommend it for a casual midweek night out, a first date, a special occasion, or to dine alone at the bar. This gets me thinking of other sub-par visits that deserve a second chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment