Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Best Pizza I Have EVER Had.







The title of this blog post sums up my experience at Osteria Stellina pretty concisely. But because I’ve become a narcissistic blogger and desire to relive my experience there, I shall dive into deeper detail.

Osteria Stellina's frequent appearance on the SF Chronicle's Top 100 list means it has been on my radar for awhile but its location (downtown Point Reyes, a 75 minute drive from the city) presented some limitations. The three-day President’s holiday weekend teed up the perfect opportunity to make the drive north. The drive there is lovely and passes by quickly. I’d describe the restaurant itself as a cozy, cabin-like diner. The chairs and tables are incredibly simple, as if they were pulled out of a convention room at a business conference; but the wooded décor helps to create a cozy ambiance. While I was only 75 minutes out of San Francisco, I felt like I was dropped somewhere in the mid-west (in a good way).

Jac and I were greeted and seated at the bar immediately. Our server was incredibly friendly (we learned later she’s from the south, which made perfect sense). We started by sharing “Greens and Beans” – a simple combination of Swiss chard and white butter beans. It was such a simple dish – no sauces or accouterments that I could see – yet so tasty and something I have never ordered out.

Then came the pizza that I will not soon forget. I’ve been fortunate enough to visit many of the top-rated pizza spots in SF (Delfina, Little Star, Zero Zero, etc) and none of their pies even approach what Stellina has to offer. As I dug into my last slice, I actually became emotional about how phenomenal it was and that it was soon coming to an end. The crust is utter perfection: thin and chewy with a slightly burnt exterior. It’s just thick enough to support the generous layer of Fontina cheese. I would happily eat the crust edges alone – the burnt flavor from the oven creates its own wonderful taste on its own. I actually debated swiping the crusts that other diners left on their plates but thought maybe that'd be tacky? The pie also featured nettles; a spinach-like topping that were slightly sweet, and again, nothing I’ve ever ordered before. Paper-thin wisps of Parmesan cheese topped it all off. At $15 for 8 generous slices, the pie is a total steal.

With the momentum building, Jac and I took a look at the dessert menu and ordered the chocolate cookie and coffee ice cream sandwich (the waitress misunderstood us and brought out the coffee cake as well – so, so sad). I devoured that sando like my life was on the line. The coffee ice cream is made in-house and is incredibly rich and flavorful. It’s perfectly paired with the chewy chocolate cookies. Like the pizza, I was getting sad toward the last few bites. I wasn’t crazy about the coffee cake, but with so many other winners, I wasn’t fazed.

If I haven’t been clear to this point, Stellina is absolutely worth the trip. Cowgirl Creamery is a fun shop around the corner and there are beautiful trails to walk nearby. I will be back as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment