Wednesday, October 19, 2011

SF's best kept secret








Ever since I visited Terzo on New Year's Eve last year, I find myself recommending it to everyone. Partly because it seems to be fairly unknown but mainly because it's perfect for any scenario: girls' night, first date, 15555th date, anniversary, parents-in-town, even a low key New Year's Eve night. It has that "special occasion" feel without being pretentious or overly expensive. And the food leaves you wanting more.

Adrienne and I showed up reservation-less on a Saturday night and the hostess was able to maneuver a few tables to find a spot for us (with a smile). The interior of the restaurant makes me feel warm inside: the front bar is buttressed by a bookcase and fireplace while the lighting is low and the colors neutral. You can show up in jeans or a cocktail dress. Like Bix and a few others, I simply enjoy being there. The bar is inviting and a great option for a more casual meal.

"Small-plates"-that-are-in-reality-quite-generously-portioned is one of my favorite food trends. I recommend visiting Terzo and ordering one or two items off the appetizer list, one or two mains, and a dessert. The menu changes daily. Reminiscent to one of my all-time favorite spots, Picco, the menu at first glance doesn't appear particularly innovative or unique - but the execution takes it from ordinary to exceptional. For example, every other restaurant in San Francisco is offering hummus and pita as an appetizer these days. Terzo does too, but its seasoned pita bread, drizzle of olive oil, and creamy homemade hummus makes you forget about the others. Moreover, burrata - something I've been seeing more and more on menus recently (or just eating more and more of recently...) - is also taken to a new level at Terzo. The beautiful colors of the heirloom tomatoes provide a aesthetic pleasure while the scoop of olive tapenade gives the otherwise mild cheese an interesting punch.

Adrienne and I shared two pasta dishes. Terzo perfects the art of combining homemade pasta noodles with juicy, heart-attack-inducing cuts of meat. Put down your knives, because the pieces of pork and chunks of sausage fall apart at the touch. The fact that the pastas come out piping hot is not lost on me, either.

To be fair, I have had better desserts than the fruit crisp I had at Terzo. Perhaps the bar is just set too high by the main courses, but I found the crisp to be tasty but not something I'd order again. All the more reason to come back and work my way through the dessert list.

So, if you're thinking "where should I eat this weekend?" - and I don't care what the occasion is - my vote is Terzo. Thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment