Monday, May 3, 2010

Neither Here Nor There



This is a tough entry to write because Café Claude wasn’t overwhelming good nor it was it exceptionally terrible. It’s … just a French spot hidden away on Claude Lane (a small alley between Pine and Bush). I won’t go out of my way to return but certainly won’t turn my nose up either. You get the point. (Call me if you want more ways to describe “middle of the road.”).

I was not in a sandwich mood (a rare occasion for me) and was looking to eat something I don’t get to try very often. I ended up with the steak tartare. Now, that is how I like my beef cooked! As you can see from the photos, the dish consists of a decent portion of raw steak and crostini-style bread, some seasonings, and a small raw egg. I think steak tartare is inherently mild and not something that will blow your mind. My dad and I also shared potato gratin. Again, it was tasty but not mind blowing.

My mom went with my second choice – a bacon, egg, and cheese quiche. I had a bite, and a part of me wish I had ordered this one instead. Chewy/flakey crust: Check. Bacon: Check. Rich, gooey cheese: check.

Interestingly, the restaurant is hidden away in nondescript alleyway, yet is a pretty large space once you walk in. In spite of the generous square footage, Café Claude packs its diners to the rafters. This creates a noisy dining room and some agitation for those with claustrophobic tendencies.

Bottom line, in a city with such stellar dining options, Café Claude can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment