Monday, May 17, 2010

The burden of expectation

Frascati has some of the best word-of-mouth publicity I can think of in this city. Everyone I talk to who has been to the Green & Hyde spot nearly falls over him/herself at its mere mention. Sorry to say, I’m not one of them. I will try my best to articulate why. Bread pudding is involved..

There was a very strong disconnect between price and value. Entrees range from roughly $22-28 per plate and apps are in the mid-teens. For me, this is the definitely the higher end of what I normally spend when I go out to dinner. My companion and I shared the Roasted Half Chicken and a penne dish. To evidence the level of an impression the pasta left on us, neither of us can remember what was in it. Monday morning GChat:

ME: “Did it have meat in it?”
Response: “I don’t think so?? Maybe? It was red.”

It was described as spicy on the menu, but I don’t recollect that part, either. The chicken didn’t fare much better. I distinctly remember thinking the $7 roast chicken at Safeway is moister and juicer than what was on my plate at Frascati.
Lastly, the bread pudding. Multiple sources (friends, websites) billed this as the best in the city. Good, yes. Great, no. Not even on the same spectrum as the bread pudding served at Luna Park. It reminded me more of a piece of moist chocolate cake than anything else.

To end on a positive note: Frascati is located on one of my favorite blocks in the city (Hyde & Green). Cable cars are rumbling by and white Christmas lights wrap the tree trunks year-round. It’s a classic SF view, which is not something I ever take for granted. The restaurant itself is charming and cozy. Service was well above average – friendly, knowledgeable, and well-paced. Just wish the food was as impressive as the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment