Friday, May 7, 2010

I Ordered Soup




Noon-time on Friday found my parents and me at Embarcadero 4 for lunch at Sens Restaurant, a Mediterranean spot offering gorgeous views of the Ferry Building and Bay Bridge. I still remember exactly what I ordered there two years ago (lamb burger), which is probably the highest compliment I can offer a restaurant.

Fighting the overwhelming urge to order the lamb burger again, I did something I haven’t done since the last time I had the flu: I ordered soup. To be fair, I also ordered the eggplant flatbread appetizer for a sense of balance. The soup du jour (insert Dumb & Dumber joke here) was described to me as some sort of Moroccan lentil/vegetable concoction. Here I go with the superlatives: this was the best soup I’ve ever had. In spite of being tomato based, it was thick, rich, and filling; comparable to chili. I can’t tell the difference between spices and flavors (beyond “chocolate” vs. “vanilla”), so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to which components created such a heart-warming bowl of goodness. The flatbreads were equally comforting: warm, chewy pita topped with pesto, cheese, cherry tomatoes and eggplant. Quite a generous serving for an $8 appetizer, too.

My dad described his lamb burger as unique (“there are chunks of other things in this patty”) and my mom raved about the salad on the side of her chicken wrap even more so than the wrap itself. Everything served at Sens has a distinct Mediterranean feel; lots of lemons, olive oil, and yogurt flavoring.

I have a policy about ordering bread pudding when out at restaurants. It’s not something you can have at home or pick up quickly at a bakery. Thus, it must be ordered when available. Continuing its amazing run, Sens offered a banana bread pudding with brown sugar ice cream and caramel sauce. The dessert was at the same level as everything else, thus making this a Sens-ational meal from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment