Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!


I was browsing through my blog entries and starting to feel like all I do is gush over every place I eat, so my experience at Georges will prove that I don’t I don’t automatically pee in my pants about a restaurant as soon as I walk through the door.

Don’t get me wrong, Georges was good and I had a nice time. It was a solid choice for my mom’s 61st birthday. The service was attentive (less one minor “huh?” moment), the setting was pleasant, and the food was nothing to complain about. The place is only 6 weeks old, so a return visit in 6-12 months could very well call for a change in undergarments.

Georges is all about fish. My dad ordered the grilled halibut sandwich (“just for the halibut” of course), my mom the salmon & penne, and me the fish tacos. I was gravely tempted by the fish & chips, so was overjoyed to see the fish in the tacos was fried. I have had some good fried fish tacos in my day (ahem, Nick’s Crispy’s…) and these simply didn’t measure up. I think the first bite into battered fried fish should almost burn your mouth and the breading should yield a crunch sound. Georges’ fried fish was lukewarm and soft. The consistency of the fried breading wasn’t too different from the fish inside. I wasn’t upset about it; in fact, I realize I’m spoiled in the fried fish arena (The Ramp is another place that does it extremely well) so the bar was placed high.

There was one minor slip-up, but maybe I’m the only one who would consider it one? The server brought us the bread. Just bread. No oil. No butter. No nothing. Bread is great, but isn’t that akin to bringing French fries sans ketchup? When we asked for oil, butter – anything – he looked confused and finally dug up some oil (no vinegar, but let’s not get greedy).

No comments:

Post a Comment