Monday, January 25, 2010

The Week I Experienced Luna Park’s Bread Pudding

I went to three good spots this week. When I’m on my deathbed, I probably won’t remember too much about Vitrine or Slow Club. But I will remember the chocolate chip bread pudding I had Luna Park. And I will smile and think “it was a good life.”

Taking full advantage of my No-Booze-Until-Superbowl-Sunday pledge, my dining companion and I hopped in the car and made the trek to the other side of the world – err, I mean city – to the Mission District for dinner at Luna Park. I had Cheese fondue, burger; he had pork chop and Ceaser. It was fine, not Top Five ..blah blah. Nobody cares.

Then…came…the…bread…pudding… I’m still searching the dictionary for a word powerful enough to describe the crispy exterior and gooey, undercooked interior of this gift from the kitchen gods. It was one of those moments where you get sad (and panicky, if you’re me) when you only see a few bites left in the dish – please, don’t let this be over!!! (we asked the waitress for a windshield scraper to get the crispy bits off the side). Did I mention it was chocolate chip bread pudding with a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate syrup drizzles on top? Also, did ya know it’s individually prepared in a shallow bowl (not a cut into a piece serving like a cake – barf!). I’ve had many a bread pudding in my day (it’s my go-to restaurant dessert order) and this is easily The Best I Have Ever Had. Easily.

Still on a high from the night before, the parentals and I checked out Vitrine for lunch – an out-of-the-way spot located in the St. Regis Hotel. Hotel restaurants make me nervous. They’re always empty and the food is usually subpar. My anxiety was heightened when the server brought out a “gift from the chef” of ceviche. How do I say this? I ain’t ever seen ceviche consisting of ONE PIECE OF SHRIMP. That’s it. Served in a Peachtree dish. Oh and a few sprigs of parsley . However, I must admit, the rest of the meal was delicious and bizarrely filling. While the portions were small (small rabbit appetizer, four-bite sea bass entrée), I found I was more than satisfied until dinner. Maybe it was the two pieces of buttered bread? Anyway, I won’t go out my way to come back, but won’t trash talk the place either.

Went for a three-peat on Saturday! Sarah G and I decided to get adventurous and do lunch in Portrero Hill. After thoughtful consideration, we settled on Slow Club. I went for fried egg sando while Sarah went for Turkey Hash. We both fell victim to setting expectations too high. The food LOOKED great, we were excited about trying a tucked-away place, etc. The food simply missed that “it” factor. Can’t place it. I’ve done cartwheels walking out of brunch at Ella’s and Zazie. Not the case here. Considering it’s a journey to get to, I probably won’t head back anytime soon. But, the company was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment