Friday, January 29, 2010

Around the World in Three Days

My voyage started Wednesday night with Jac at Meze’s, a Greek spot in the Marina. Sigh. Pretty simple summary here: not enough value. Plates were $10-12 and constituted about six bites each (you can do the math when you’re sharing with someone else!). The few bites I did have were tasty (particularly the meatballs), but felt slightly robbed when it was time to pay the bill. Glad I went, but won’t be in a hurry to return. Jac: we need to stick with tried’n’true (bar food).

My trip to India (via take-out from Shalimar on Polk) the following evening was a polar opposite experience: cheap, huge portions, and delicious. Just the aroma of the take-out bag had my head spinning. We sampled beef, lamb, and chicken dishes. I’d recommend any of the curry dishes: flavorful, spicy, and comforting. Also, don’t skip the Naan! Despite only being $1 each, one piece is about the size of a Boboli pizza crust (I bought five of them, probably still weary from tiny portions the night before – better safe than sorry!!!!!!!!!)

I ended my trip this afternoon at Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion for lunch. The chocolate molten lava cake saved what could have been a pretty mediocre dining experience. I opted for the pecan encrusted Mahi Mahi (still blocked up from the night before); serving size was small, fish was cold, flavor and moisture level left much to be desired. My dad pretended to get his magnifying glass out to find the food on his plate (awesome move, btw). And, no bread for the table (even upon special request). What kind of chain restaurant doesn’t have bread baskets?! The chocolate molten lava cake, however, was warm and decadent and left a much better taste in my mouth.

Enter Food Coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment