Monday, January 18, 2010

Anchor & Hope You Can Stop By

‘Tis the holiday season again! It’s Dine About Town in San Fran, which is essentially a three week Christmas for SF Foodies like myself. For DAT virgins, here’s the rub:

-Three weeks, twice each year
-Several dozen participating restaurants
-$18 2-course Prix Fixe lunch/$35 3-course Dinner*

Anyway, Friday was DAT 2010 kickoff and I wasn’t about to be a curmudgeon by sitting out the first day. The entire Roberts clan headed south of Market to a tucked away spot aptly named Anchor & Hope for its fish and underwater fare. Here is where I must come clean: I did not order from the DAT menu after all. The starter soup and grilled fish just wasn’t calling my name like the fried shrimp fritter sando was. Pops, however, did go for the DAT option, so I don’t feel too much like a Grinch.

Would I go back? Yes. Would I pay my own way to go back? Probably not. Am I going to shout from the rooftops about A&H’s shrimp fritters? No chance. The sandwich was mysteriously spicy (even for someone who enjoys a spice-induced runny nose every so often), so beware. The rest of my family felt the same way – pleasant, but nothing to write home about (although we didn’t have to write home because we were all there, but I digress..)

One major bonus point: Upon my request for “LOTS of ketchup” to go with my fries, the busboy returns with a plate of 5 servings. Yes, yes, YES!! My biggest restaurant pet-peeve is those microscopic servings of ketchup. Is that a serving per fry?

*Sign of the times: I *think* it was 3 courses for lunch last year. For all the DAT deets: http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/taste/dineabouttown/

No comments:

Post a Comment