Friday, August 5, 2011

That Burger is soaked in bacon fat!






My perpetual quest to find the perfect burger almost came to a happy conclusion last week (but I’m no quitter so I will soldier on). Like many good things life, this burger appeared where I least expected it: Don Pistos, a “Mexican Street Food” spot in North Beach. Never thought I’d have an amazing burger at a Mexican restaurant in a neighborhood famous for Italian – but I’ll take it. Thank you Sarah and Ryan for convincing me not to stay in on a Friday night and thus creating such a wonderful burger memory that I will carry with me forever.

The beef’s flavor is its differentiator. As the menu indicates, the meat is marinated in BACON FAT before grilling (as Sarah reminded me about ten times throughout the meal). Being the miracle food that bacon is, it should come as no surprise that this adds a wonderful smoky dimension to the burger. If the patty is the star, its cast of supporting characters also delivered an amazing performance. The bun is lightly toasted and perfect density to showcase the meat. The slab of guacamole is the perfect finishing touch. We initially ordered one burger to split but after one bite new an additional order was necessary.

The other plates we ordered – fish tacos, chips and guacamole, and an ahi tuna platter – were great too. The chips were exceptionally good. I prefer a thicker chip, and Don Pistos’ variety is exactly that. They don’t skimp you, either. A large bowl is provided to each table and the servers are excellent about keeping it full. Like all good guacamole, their take is thick, creamy, and chunky.

On top of great food, the restaurant is simply a cool place to be. The brick walls, open kitchen, flowing sangria, and simple wood furniture create a festive experience. I also eyed a fun bar area where I know I’ll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment