Thursday, January 27, 2011

A good beginning and great ending




Dine About Town has arrived in San Francisco! While $17.95 for two courses at lunch doesn’t strike me as a particularly great deal, I feel compelled to participate in anything food-related that people are talking about. So, the choice for Friday lunch was Chaya. Located along the Embarcadero, this French/Japanese offers stunning views of the Bay Bridge – and very decent food in my two experiences.

DAT participants have the choice of an app and an entrée or an entrée and a dessert. Today, I chose a mushroom bisque soup to start and a sushi medley for the main (the seasonal sorbet wasn’t too tempting). The soup was phenomenal – creamy, flavorful, and topped with a dab of cream. Yes, I definitely scraped the edges of the bowl with my bread on this one. Both my parents had it and agreed it was top-notch. The sushi medley was satisfying but was far from the best I’ve had. The portion (13 pieces total) was impressive but it tasted like the rolls I get at Safeway (which, to clarify, is not a criticism). I have to add it was kind of a trip to alternate bites of sushi and bread’n’butter on the table. Gotta love a little cultural diversity.

I was on the fence about dessert and ready to be sold. So, when the waitress came out with menus and spontaneously added “our bread pudding is to die for!” – well, she closed me. To extend the sales analogy, she over-delivered on her promise. This bread pudding gives Luna Park’s a run for its money. It’s served in a bowl (a must); warm (another must); uses crisp croissant pieces, and is swimming in some sort of custard sauce with pieces of chocolate chips. The scoop of ice cream was, well, the icing on the cake. It alone puts Chaya in the “return worthy” column.

I have to add that our waitress was particularly cool – friendly, attentive, but not-overbearing. In all, Chaya has a lot to brag about: above-average food, awe-inspiring views of the bridge, great service, and a delectable dessert. Rumor is their Happy Hour is not to be missed. Chances are I will be back soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment