Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Credo" I would go back

After a brief hiatus from the dining scene – conscious about $$/stomach pooches before impending Paris immoderation – I joined the parentals for lunch at a new spot in the Financial District called Credo. “Credo” is Italian for “I believe” and the walls are aptly adorned with famous statements beginning with the phrase (think Martin Luther King…). So, not a bad spot to take a boring companion, as you can depend on about 100 famous names and quotes on the wall to spur conversation. In fact, after my mom had run out of questions about Paris, when I’d land, does Jennifer know I’m coming? Have you packed? Are you going to the Louvre? Flying direct? SFO? Oak? Won’t you be jet lagged? Will your iPhone work? Long term parking or cab? What’s the weather report? April in Paris is supposed to be beautiful! Does your boss know you’re out next week?... I could finally take a look at the fun, historical quotes on the wall.

Anyway, that was way too much non-food dialogue. All in all, the food value to price ratio was extremely favorable. The menu – not surprisingly – is chock full of Italian classics like Pizza Margherita, lasagna, various paninis, and pasta dishes. Prices range from $10-15. My chicken pesto Panini was one of the better I’ve had. You know the bread is fresh and authentic. One memorable moment was when I asked the waiter for ketchup: “vee don’t have cashup…” Huh? I am all about authenticity, but no ketchup? I have my boundaries! As Lloyd says in Dumb & Dumber, the waiter then “totttalllllllly redeemed himself” by bringing a spicy aioli dipping sauce. Crisis averted. My mom’s prosciutto Panini was the weakest of the bunch (too dry). My dad licked his lasagna clean.

One observation we all made was about the noise level. Toward the end, we were leaning in just to hear each other. It didn’t ruin the experience, but certainly one of the noisier lunch places I’ve been to.

No comments:

Post a Comment