Friday, April 23, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over




What better way to spend a sunny, 65 degree day than at a downtown lunch date with my dad? With the sun shining and the bay glistening, I met my dad at The Cosmopolitan (Spear between Mission and Howard). I recall being quite pleased with my initial visit two years ago, and the urge to return had been nagging at me for weeks.




Wow. Talk about underrated. Forget One Market or MarketBar! Few have heard of this place, despite its prominent downtown location and all-around gastronomic excellence. This is the perfect location for a business meeting, a girls-only lunch, date, or Happy Hour. The lighting is advantageous, the noise-level is conversational, service is excellent, and the fries – as my dad exclaimed – are “extraordinary.” I probably don’t need to continue (but I will).




My dad started with the $5/2 Martini lunch special (not a type-o) and I ordered a glass of Sauv Blanc. Upon their prompt delivery, I ordered the daily special (grilled Ahi tuna/Avocado sandwich with onion rings) and my dad the beef brisket sando. Sandwiches are by no means the only option; it was an extremely tough call between the chicken pot pie and the assortment of appealing fish options. Something for everyone. We also pre-ordered the sourdough-toffee bread pudding for dessert, as the menu wisely advised of the 25 minute preparation time.




I’ve found Ahi often falls into the trap of being too bland, but this one was grilled and seasoned to tasty perfection. The bread was soft and chewy – complimenting the delicate fish rather than overwhelming it. I didn’t taste my dad’s brisket sandwich, but by the look on his face he was a happy camper. I DID gather an ample sample-size of my dad’s fries and they were the stuff Top 5 lists are made of. I didn’t have the chance to ask how they were prepared, but my guess is they are double fried and/or fried in a special oil. Throw some garlic and herbs on top of that – speechless.




Just as I started to think “hmm, some dessert would hit the spot about now,” out came the bread pudding. It wasn’t quite Luna Park- good, but it was a unique preparation. (That is what I love about bread pudding – you never know how it will come out). It was extremely chocolatey and served with a dollop of coffee ice cream.




Not a single aspect of this dining experience missed a single beat. The food, the service, the location, the prices – they all added up to a top-notch meal. I don’t care who you are with or what meal you’re eating – book The Cosmopolitan pronto!



No comments:

Post a Comment