Monday, March 29, 2010

Highlights (and one lowlight)

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted an actual review and I it has been an extremely good stretch on the food front. There was one doozy, but I suppose there’s a bad apple in every barrel (and it makes you appreciate the goodies even more). For the sake of attention spans and volume, I’ll try to keep my reviews brief:

Ella’s: This is the number one brunch spot in the city, bar none. This was my third or fourth visit, and I had the pleasure of dining with two Ella’s virgins (Sarah G and her sister Julia), so I felt like I got to experience the novelty all over again. I nearly called Chief Justice Roberts to help make the decision on what to order, but finally settled upon one banana pancake and one strawberry ricotta pancake. Ella’s pancakes set the standard for what a flapjack should be: thick, slightly undercooked/doughy, served with a creamy butter side. Sarah G walked away a different person after her smoked salmon scramble experience. I don’t like going to the same place over and over again, but Ella’s proximity to my apartment, reasonable prices, and incredible brunch fare make it an exception.

Perbacco: Dined here for lunch with my mom, dad, and Jac. I didn’t really need to look at the menu to know I would be ordering the short ribs. I like beef – any meat for that matter – that does not require a knife to cut it. Just the aroma of this dish is filling. The short ribs are served on top of home-made tagliatelle pasta and define “comfort food.” So warming and filling. The bottomeless focaccia bread is the best I’ve ever had as well. Perbacco is a place I try to get to at least once every six months.

Tipsy Pig: No, that’s not my new Friday night nickname. Ha!! I was at the Pig Thursday and Saturday nights last week after having been there several times before only for drinks. The food is LEGIT. I had heard very good things about the macaroni and cheese via the Chronicle’s Michael Bauer and I now understand the hype. I don’t normally crave mac’n’cheese, but how shall I say this…. Hmm…oh yeah, it’s served with bacon bits. I also give a stamp of approval to the pretzel twist and cheese sauce, sweet potato fries, and sliders. But if you can only try on thing, it has to be the mac’n’cheese.

Osteria: This old-person spot in Laurel Heights was host to a Salesforce girls’ night out. When I walked in and saw only grey hair and bald heads, I got a little nervous our group of eight 20-somethings would overwhelm them. Not so. Joanne (our server) was taking pictures with us, entertaining us with jokes, exchanging email addresses – all while serving delicious Italian food with impeccable timing. I had so much FUN at here. A date spot it is not (bad lighting, all old people) but it is a great spot to bring family from out of town or meet the in-laws. Oh yeah, the prices are totally reasonable for the quality and quantity.

Tacolicious: Sigh, no city is perfect. I have always resisted high-end Mexican food (Mamacita, Mexico DF = FAIL) and here again is proof. Half the stuff on the menu didn’t appear to be Mexican (spare ribs?!) and my “taco platter” was something I could have made at home for half the cost. They brought me a plate of a few taco shells, ground beef, shredded lettuce, and cheese. Give me a break! I also ordered the ribs and they were too spicy for me to eat. Every time I walk by, the place is packed, but they won’t be getting anymore of my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment