Friday, March 12, 2010

**BURGER ALERT**BURGER ALERT**BURGER ALERT**

Finding the perfect burger is a never-ending pursuit for me. And actually, when I try to think of my favorite burger in SF, there isn’t one that sticks out. Until last night.

Jac and I decided to do a girl date at Bix, located in a tucked-away alley in the Financial District. Everything about Bix is classic San Francisco: patrons are all locals, the bartenders have been behind the bar since its inception 20 years ago, renowned chef, ingredients mainly from the local farmers market, etc. I’d been to Bix twice before for lunch and I’ve always sung its praises. In fact, when my job re-located from SF to San Mateo in 2008, I chose it to be my last Friday lunch with the parents since it harbored such fond memories for all three of us.

Bix’s burger has always been a part of my “very solid” grouping (Lil’s, Brazenhead, Fog City are among the others) but it leapt decisively into a league of its own. The “Bix Burger” comes with bacon and cheddar. In a single mouthful, my taste buds couldn’t decide if they should dance to the music of the beef, the bacon, or the cheddar. The bun – often a party crasher with its overwhelming presence – provided a wonderful dance floor for these flavors to harmonize. It’s a rare and beautiful thing when all the components of a burger: the bun, the toppings (in this case, an incredible smoky bacon), the cheese, and the condiments all jive flawlessly together. The burger ain’t cheap ($19) but after just one bite, you know why.

Already on a natural high from the burger, I approached Bix’s (and Marin’s Picco) head chef of seven years, Bruce Hill, for a quick chat. I must have asked him how he makes such a masterpiece, because next thing I know, I’m in his kitchen to see his magic burger press (coming to a Williams-Sonoma near you this spring). I still don’t understand the technology behind it, but something about it being multi-compartmental? Who cares, I was in Bix’s kitchen with the chefs! I also could not resist the opportunity to ask Bruce where HE likes to eat. His answer of Nombe surprised me. First, I had never heard of it and secondly it’s an Asian Fusion spot in the Mish. I guess when you cook American classics all day long, you’re inclined to venture for a change when you’re not in the kitchen. Bruce also told me that when he’s at the local farmers market every week, he always sees the chefs from Range and Incanto buying fresh ingredients also. I feel so in the know!

No comments:

Post a Comment