Friday, January 13, 2012

Two for Two

After a several week hiatus, my parents and I resumed our Friday lunch routine with a bang. Last week we hit the well-renowned Perbacco; this week we checked out new comer La Fusion. Perbacco's Italian fare couldn't be more different than La Fusion's Latin, but they were both winners.

Perbacco





I've now been to Perbacco four or five times, and it's more consistent than Cal Ripken Jr. This visit I ordered the "Langaroli – Pasta filled with brasato of short ribs and porcini mushrooms / red wine butter" which is just a long winded way to say short rib ravioli. My "beef" with ravioli is the pasta always over powers the filling, sometimes to the point where I'm not sure what the filling is. Not the case at Perbacco; the hand-made pasta wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor because it's delicate texture and mild taste allows the savory goodness of the short ribs shine through. This is a short rib dish through and through. That being said, the pasta pieces are clearly hand-made and a work of art themselves.

My mom had some sort of pasta-less short rib dish also and she claims it was one of the best we've had in our four years Friday lunch (four years?!). I was privy to a bite and the accompanying bed of lentils and greens were as delectable as the meat itself.

A note about the service. I was on a tight schedule in between work meetings and politely informed the waitress. She brought out our dishes in lighting speed. We appreciated her consideration. We also appreciated the bottomless focaccia bread basket :)

La Fusion





Flash forward a week. I walked into La Fusion not feeling particularly hungry. Not thirty seconds later inside the tiny restaurant, and my stomach was growling for whatever was coming from the kitchen. The menu tested my ability to prioritize, with many tempting ceviche, beef, lamb, and fried side options. Per our charming server's suggestion, we went family style: 1/2 roast chicken (served over a warm bread salad and served with one side), prawn ceviche, and empanada (one beef, one seafood).

Out first were the empanadas and you really can't go wrong with meat stuffed into a fried, flaky crust. I appreciated the accompanying dipping sauces, but the empanadas really didn't need them. We're off to a good start.

I was most impressed with the ceviche. Ceviche to me often means a tiny piece of fish with a bit of diced tomatoes. There must have been 15 large prawns comprising the tower, all atop a fresh chunk of avocado. They didn't skimp on the savory red sauce and softened onions, either. The crispy crostini chips made the perfect bite possible. At $12, this was worth every penny.

La Fusion seem to promote the roast chicken, which you can buy whole, half, or quartered atop a warm bread salad. Our side choice - yuka frita - were crispier than your normal french fry but very similar in size and taste. The chicken itself didn't blow me away; it was a tad on the dry side and a little bland. But with the assortment of sauces and warm bread (think along the lines of Thanksgiving stuffing), one can fix the bland problem quite easily. Or, if you're seeking a healthier option, I think most dietitians would approve (calories don't count on Fridays though).

Feeling we had the wind at our backs, we closed with a flourless chocolate cake. This wasn't the richest I've ever had, but it had the gooey and dense factor going for it. Looking for a casual, low key lunch break spot? It doesn't get better than La Fusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment