Friday, March 11, 2011

The City is my Oyster







I’ve been on an oyster kick lately. Don’t know how/why/where it started, but I shot my first oyster a few weeks ago after a 10+ year hiatus. I am hooked: oysters are fun to eat and can be cheap; I also like the idea of learning more and experimenting with the different varieties, sizes, regions etc. Woodhouse Fish Company (<--Yay for embedded links!!!!!!!) is half a block from my apartment and offers a $1 oyster night every Tuesday. I've been here once or twice before but had never gone the oyster route.

Once our 35 minute+ wait had passed (WFC doesn't take resos), my accomplice and I were seated at the counter and immediately ordered up a dozen oysters. As aforementioned, I have very little experience with oysters, so take my evaluation with a grain of salt (or a dash of Tobasco, if we're staying in theme): I really enjoyed these oysters. They were big, cold, and tasted very fresh. I'm still perfecting the proportions of my concoction, but a splash of Tobasco and a dollop of cocktail sauce makes for a very tasty fish appetizer.

We also ordered up a serving of garlic bread and fish tacos for some real sustenance. Both earned my stamp of approval, especially the fish tacos. The fish itself was moist and flaky, while the breaded exterior was fried just right - and didn't leave me with a stomach-ache as fried food often does. The aioli sauce, thinly sliced avocado, and fresh salsa complement the fish but don't over power it.

A few random thoughts:

- There is also a Mission location if you're in a more hipster mood
- Lighting could be improved (ie, very bright lights)
- I used the word "counter" above deliberately; while it looks like a bar, mingling with an adult beverage as you wait for your table is NOT permitted
- Friendly wait-staff will bring your adult beverage to front of restaurant while you wait.
- They are famous for their crab roll, which I had about a year ago. I remember it being small and expensive - but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment