Friday, July 30, 2010

Everyone Makes Mistakes...Maybe?

Every now and then, I visit an eatery that has remarkable word-of-mouth publicity. My friends’ mouths start salivating at the mere mention of these places. Michael Bauer’s words jump off the page when he writes about them in the Chronicle. And then I visit…

I can think of a few places off the top of my head where I am literally the only person I know that wasn’t impressed. I am making a concerted effort now (set, GO!) to re-visit these places and see if maybe I got it wrong the first time around. I will start with Globe (Financial District) tomorrow with my parents. I recall being there about two years ago but can recall more than my feeling of disappointment.

Other anomalies:

-Tacolicious (Marina): To me, this was an over-priced, under-valued Mexican joint (Big No-No). I left thinking more effort was put into achieving trendy Marina status than into good Mexican grub.

-Frascati: This is a beloved SF spot that I am convinced I must have hit on an off night. My roast chicken was dry and the pasta was mediocre at best. I do visit a lot of nicer-end places like this at lunch, which I realize may not be when a restaurant is on its A-Game, but this was a full-blown Saturday night visit. The passing trolley cars and classic SF ambiance is enough to motivate me to re-visit.

-Boulevard: $21 for three ravioli is highway robbery. This was a lunchtime visit and I probably owe it a chance at dinner. Pencil me in after my next raise.
Flour + Water: The New York Times, Washington Post, and Sunset Magazine all fell over themselves for this place. Friends I talk to come close to disowning me when they hear I didn’t care for it. The pizza was good… but no better than Delfina, Little Star, A16, Zachary’s….

Everyone and everything deserves a second chance. Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment