Friday, July 9, 2010

Branching out to The Plant


I had been putting off visiting The Plant for months. Its “organic, vegetarian, local, farm-raised, vegan, all natural, zen, unprocessed, anti-George Bush, macrobiotic ” pitch simply wasn’t doing much for my appetite. However, still blocked up from a four-day weekend food-for-all, I was actually in the mood for a salad and a tall, cold glass of …water.

And to clear something up: The Plant actually has meat on its menu. One can choose from chicken, shrimp, (or tofu, of course) in many of the sandwiches and wrap options. To my great surprise, I actually had a harder time than usual choosing what I wanted because so many of the choices sounded interesting and different. The Tikka chicken wrap, pumpkin seed & corn meal encrusted tempeh*, and duck confit pizza all looked enjoyable. Ultimately, my mom and I went in together on the Thai Green Curry with shrimp and the wild mushroom pizza.

The Good: the food tasted fresh and healthy. I didn’t walk away feeling bloated or like I’ll have to hit the gym twice as hard tomorrow. The curry had a pleasant lemon flavor that I’ve never noticed in a curry before. You can’t beat the view (we sat on the patio overlooking the bay).

The “Ehh”: Everything was kind of bland. “Pleasant” is a good word to describe it. In my stomach’s eye, I see curry as warming, comforting, and potent – this was not. Shouldn’t you be able to pour the curry sauce over the rice? The pizza crust was too thin and the cheese was finely shaved on in fingernail size portions.
I have no doubt many would enjoy this, especially the health conscious. It just doesn’t have me coming running back for more.

*Tempeh is not a characteristic often associated with anger. The waitress definied it as “tofu-like” but nuttier.

No comments:

Post a Comment