Friday, June 4, 2010

An SF Institution Delivers!





For reasons I cannot explain, I have walked right past Tadich Grill for the last three years. It’s across the street from my office and has been around since 1849 (the oldest restaurant in the city!) so I have no excuse. After reading this blog entry, you have no excuse either!

This spot continuously nailed it from the moment I walked into the door to the last bite of bread pudding (and assuredly again when I re-heat the leftovers tonight). We walked in, reservation-less, and were immediately seated in a corner table by the window overlooking California Street (+ 1). Authentic SF sourdough bread was already on the table when we sat down (+1). Room temperature butter on table (+1). Our old-school waiter (think long, white overcoats) brought us our menus and water promptly (+1). Upon his recommendation, we ordered a ceviche appetizer, which appeared before us as we were still perusing the lengthy menu (+1). And probably one of my favorite touches: waiter brings out a large, wide-mouthed bottle of ketchup without us requesting it. Clutch! (+1)

I was torn between the daily Mahi Mahi special and the seafood curry casserole. When my mom said she was getting the Mahi Mahi, I was sold on the curry casserole. The moment I started getting antsy for my plate, the waiter appeared with a glorious dish of baby shrimp, jumbo shrimp, crab, and prawns swimming in a thick curry sauce served over a bed of white rice (see before and after shots). I am a sucker for curry and this was right up there with the best I’ve had. It was everything curry should be: warm, comforting, hearty, and filling! I saved half of it for dinner tonight. Man, that was good! (+100)

My mom had the Mahi Mahi special (see pic) and I was privy to a bite or two. Right away, I could tell this was quality seafood. Moreover, the fillet was large (to the point my mom didn’t finish it). My dad had corned beef hash (I can NEVER predict his orders) and walked away happy (+1 and +1).

Lastly, the waiter mentioned they had bread pudding and we all know I cannot say no. I am always excited to see how each restaurant will approach a bread pudding (bread pudding is like a snowflake - no two are the same). Tadich’s take was unlike any I’ve seen and I was quite impressed. First, it was just barely warm (as opposed to steaming hot like most) and was more like layered pieces of French toast with a thick bourbon sauce. Sometimes bread pudding comes out more on the “pudding” side, but this one definitely comes out on the “bread” side of the spectrum. Upon first bite, I had my doubts, but then I couldn’t stop digging in (+ infinity).

I lost track of the exact score, but Tadich is a winner!

1 comment:

  1. So, I found your blog clearly. I'm glad you liked the Tadich. My parents have loved that place since practically 1849 hehe. If you ever go back, have the hangman fry and make sure to get the story that goes along with it!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete