Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Healthy Dosa



Last Friday night’s plan consisted of dinner at Dosa followed by a screening of Sex & the City with four of my running gal pals. Having read the reviews of SATC, I was definitely more excited to see how Dosa handled high-end Indian than how Carrie handled the Middle East. Like Mexican food, I’m not convinced Indian should be served in a luxurious vicinity with double-digit prices … but it’s always worth a shot.

With five of us at the dinner table, I rescinded all ordering power to those around me because I’ll try anything and everything on the menu looked good to me. Either it’s hard to find a miss at Dosa or I just found myself some excellent new wing-women! We ordered an assortment of curries, samosas, and Dosas. The highlight for me was definitely the Bhatura, the puffy bread in the picture. Not only is it an unusual site to see on your dinner table, the sweet’n’savory flavoring reminded me of a thin pancake. Give me a little dipping sauce and that’s a happy meal for me.

It’s been several days since Dosa and I’ve done some soul searching about the difference between expensive Indian and take-out. Shalimar – previously reviewed on this blog – is incredible Indian food and one of my favorite take-out spots in the city regardless of genre. One of its greatest virtues is that one can get out the door in under $15 and still stuff two adults. So, is Dosa worth the premium? I say yes, when the occasion is right (for comparison sake, expensive Mexican is NEVER worth it). Take a look at the pictures – the puffy bread and rolled up bread is not something one can order take-out. The presentation of these dishes is an exciting and unusual treat in itself. The serving sizes (again, unlike expensive Mexican) is generous and easily shared among multiple people. Moreover, the Indian staples – curries, samosas, etc – were just as memorable as the stuff you get in plastic take-out ware. Lastly, the first adjective that pops to mind to describe Dosa’s Fillmore location is “luxurious.” Dosa has a lot going for it.

And since this is exclusively a food blog, I’ll spare you the SATC movie review…

No comments:

Post a Comment