Friday, December 25, 2009

If you must leave SF...

First, Merry Christmas to all (or, to the four people that read this blog)! I am always a pathetic sap around the holidays - and this year is no exception. While I love my new 32 inch flat-screen TV and Magic Bullet blender, the best gifts are my family and friends. The material things are just icing on the cake...

I digress. I dedicate this blog to a legit spot outside city lines. On Christmas Eve Eve, I braved the Bay Bridge S Curve to meet up with Bro and Bro's lady friend at La Pinata in Alameda. Perusing the menu, "bacon wrapped jumbo prawns" immediately caught my eye. Truth be told, anything wrapped in bacon will cause my ears perk up. In fact, if you wrapped a tree trunk in bacon, I'd absolutely give it a shot. However, at a classic Mexican spot, I'm typically inclined to stick with their tried-and-true options (tacos, burritos, etc). So, full of trepidation and high expectations, I took a chance - and my leap of faith paid off in a huge way. Served with cheesy refried beans, Mexican rice, and pitchers of margies, this was one of the most delightful meals I've had in 2009. Merry Christmas, indeed!

****Addendum to First Post: Woke up in cold sweat last night and realized I left Nick's Crispy Tacos off the list. Nick, my sincere apologies: Your baja-style deep friend fish tacos reside comfortably/gloriously in my top 5. I don't have the heart to displace a member of the list, so my Top 5 List is officially a Top 6 List.

No comments:

Post a Comment