Monday, June 6, 2011

Four Years Later...

I’ve lived in my apartment nearly four years now and calculate that I have walked by Florio at least two thousand times just going to and from work alone. If all those buildings didn’t block my awesome view, I could see it from my apartment window. You get the point. Looking for a close, low-key place to have dinner, Adrienne and I settled on Florio.

I love the interior of this restaurant. It actually reminds me of Bix: 1930’s jazz-era throwback. The floor is comprised of black and white tiles, the lighting very low, and the main bar area is the star attraction. There are two wines on tap (one red, one white) and my Sauvignon Blanc was perfect. I opted for two appetizers: the Tomato Bisque soup and a crostini topped with pureed pea and mint. While nothing earth shattering, the soup was very pleasant especially when dipped with the complimentary cheesy baguette. The crostini was a unique combination of pea, mint, and a hint of olive oil. Overall, the meal was very light but still satisfying. That is a very good thing.

Adrienne reported positively about her salmon tartar appetizer and seafood stew. From my vantage point, the stew looked extremely hearty: big chunks of salmon, shrimp, mussels, and clams. Adrienne did say it was too heavy on the saffron, but not enough to ruin the dish.

I don’t think this is a place to go for a fabulous, knock-your-socks-off meal. It IS the place to go for a pre-dinner drink and/or appetizer. You’ll feel so cozy, you may not want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment