Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meltdown, Counter-Side




The foundation had been laid for an amazing brunch: Sunday, sunny skies, 6 mile run down the hatch, stomach growling, and an eatery whose name is that of a female (see theory here). Let’s just say I had to fight back tears of disappointment by the time I walked out of Bette’s Oceanview Diner.

You’ve probably seen Bette’s pancakes and waffle mixes in higher end supermarkets. I also recently saw the diner featured on Check Please (to very favorable reviews). In hindsight, there were several red flags from the start. First, parking is impossible in spite of several lots nearby. Second, our wait was roughly 45 minutes for two counter spots. Knowing my hunger level (translation: cranky level) was on a steady rise, I bought a chocolate chip cookie at the adjoining bakery shop next door. The cookie was, at best, mediocre.

I knew I wanted pancakes and I couldn’t resist the soufflĂ© pancake option: “fluffy pancake lightened with beaten egg whites and baked in the oven.” There are several toppings to choose from, including the banana rum option I went with. My charity case opted for the California plate (poached eggs on ham and toast with a lemon-herb butter sauce, served with home fries). The plate placed before me was jaw dropping; the soufflĂ© is enormous, puffy, and…enormous and puffy. It has no taste other than a very faint hint of egg whites (unless you dump syrup on it, which I resorted to), has the consistency of undercooked egg whites, and is simply not visually appealing when you cut into it. About halfway through I felt a tantrum coming on and had a few bites of the egg dish, which was better, but nothing to write home about.

Based on Bette's Yelp reviews, I seem to be in the minority about the souffle. Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference, but I can't recall ever having a similar reaction to any kind of flour-based food. I am not picky about my carbs.

On the plus side: the vibe of the restaurant is stellar. It’s a classic diner in every sense of the word, including a manual juke box, friendly wait-staff, interactive counter, and very reasonable prices. There's very well priced booze on the menu if you feel so inclined for a day drink. I don’t understand the “Oceanview” part, as you’d have to walk a mile to even see any water, but now I am just picking on Bette’s. I had a great view of the cooks and would consider returning to try some of the other dishes they were making... once my tantrum has subsided that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment