Friday, August 27, 2010

Déjà vu




After two years of passing by it on the bus to work, I finally made it to Sam’s on Bush Street (not to be confused with Sam’s in Tiburon – verrrrry different). When I walked in, I immediately thought of Tadich Grill: older male waiters in white tuxedos, box-car style seating, focus on fish, old-school San Francisco vibe. While Tadich was better, Sam’s was still a pleasant experience.

First impressions are important and Sam nails this one. Check out the bread waiting! And four pats of butter. Once the excitement of the sourdough bread died down, the rest of the experience was pleasant but nothing to write home about. The menu is extensive and has something for everyone – soups, salads, steaks, fish, vegetarian, pastas, and ranges in price from about $12-25. I love calamari, so I opted for the marinated calamari salad (realized breading and frying makes a big difference). My dad ordered the Salisbury steak while Mom-aroo went for the veal. Everyone seemed pleased and pleasantly full – if I were a teacher, I’d give Sam a B.

These are the hardest reviews to write – there was no single event or aspect to harp on, joke about, or recommend to others. I should point out that the noise level was optimal and the service was attentive without being overwhelming. But what restaurant wants to be remembered for its “optimal noise level”?

No comments:

Post a Comment