Friday, February 19, 2010

Good things do happen in the Tenderloin

I braved the mean streets of the TL this week for dinner and a show at Great American Music Hall. Not only did I live to see Wednesday morning, I came through with a pretty happy stomach as well. Olive is one of the more peculiar places I’ve ever seen in my 24 years: it’s situated in perhaps one of the sketchiest blocks in all of SF, but once you step in, you feel as if you’re in the hippest bar in the Mission.

The drink and food menu are quite clever. I started with a champagne infused mojito while I perused the various options on the menu: baked brie, thin crust pizzas, fish tacos, Monte Cristo, quesadillas, to name a few. Now, anyone who knows me well is aware Baked Brie is in my Top 5. Toward the top of my Top 5. Rarely do I see it on a dinner menu. So, choice was easy: I had baked brie for dinner. I’ve had better home-made baked bries in my day; I prefer the brie to be IN the pastry dough but this was served with a sourdough roll on the side. Not a home-run.

We also shared a spicy tuna roll which exceeded my expectations. The roll is humungous, prepared tempura style (Read: FRIED!!) and was extremely filling. If you’re going GAMH for a show, Olive is the place to be... unless you like Popeyes or the corner store fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment